Food Stamps, Cash Assistance Article

Nutrition Support Services and Food Stamps


The Area Agency on Aging is responsible for ensuring that supportive and nutrition services are made available to older persons in communities where they live. Call the Senior HELP LINE at (602) 264-HELP (4357), Toll Free: (888) 264-2258, TTY/TDD (602) 241-6110 available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to find a service in your area or you can visit the Area Agency on Aging on-line locater.

You can also find meal services at senior centers in your community. You and your spouse can get hot meals at such facilities as long as one of you is age 60 or older. The nutrition program in your area may provide transportation as well. If you are homebound, you can have hot meals delivered to you. The Arizona Senior Center Association maintains information about Arizona senior centers on their website.

Counties also offer food stamp programs to supplement or cover the grocery bills of those in need. For information on eligibility, call (800) 221-5689 or you can go to the Department of Economic Security’s web site.



  • i forgot my eight digit case number
  • Some states websites, such as MA, state that the home office expense taken on a tax return may be a countable self-employment expense for SNAP (Nutrition assistance) benefits. I cannot find anything about this on the DEA/FAA website, AZ Admin. Code, FAA Policy Manual, etc. Does anyone know? If so, and if countable, can you point me to a code section or rule number I can cite to get DES to permit this expense to be counted?
  • I applied for food stamps and cash assistance on 11/16/15 and was approved for foodstamps and have already received them. However, the cash assistance is still pending. I understand it can take up to 45 days for them to make a decision but my question is if it is approved will the backdate the cash assistance to the date of application or will it become effective the 1st of the month after approval?
  • can des deny you before the date given to turn in requested info i filed fair hear on oct 10 and they lost it and didnt file it tillnov 15
  • i already applied on line for cash assistance... how do i find out if my worker has filed my information?
  • How long do I have to be a resident of AZ before I apply for public benefits? I am currently living in southern California and plan to move to AZ with in the next couple of months...
  • We were told by a job worker that if my husband is going to school full-time (for 10month prgm) that that would be considered his full-time job to get cash assistance and i would be able to stay home with our 2 children who are 5 and 3
  • Is it illegal for me to use my Moms food stamp card while she is incarcerated?
  • How can i get my case number without having go down the DES Office?
  • I need proof of benefits recieved for an application for utility assistance. Where or who can give me a total benefit amount recieved?




  • Please select your county of residence below.



  • State Bar of Arizona
  • Maricopa County Bar
    Referral number 602-257-4434
  • Pima County Bar
    Referral number 520-623-4625
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline
  • Bankruptcy Court Self Help Center
  • Certified Legal Document Preparer Program