Choosing Where to Live Article

Housing Options for Seniors

Most individuals desire to live as independently as possible while receiving the level of service or care needed. Fortunately there are many housing options to choose from depending on the level of care needed, eligibility, and budget. One of your best resources for housing options is the Area Agency on Aging.  Use their on-line locator to find your region and closest Agency on Aging resource.   You can always call the Area Agency on Aging's 24-hour Senior HELP LINE at (602) 264-4357, toll free at (888) 264-2258, or TTY/TDD at (602) 241-6110 to get more information on any of the following alternatives..

Senior Adult Independent Living Program (SAIL) is for individuals who need help to continue living at home. SAIL provides in-home evaluations to determine an individual’s area of need and make the necessary referrals for services. SAIL services include:

  • Case management
  • Adult day health care
  • Home delivered meals
  • Home health aid
  • Home nursing
  • Personal care
  • Homemaking and chores

Persons with physical problems aged 60 years or older can benefit from SAIL. Persons aged 18 to 59 years with a diagnosed disability receiving or eligible for SSI disability payments may also benefit

Independent Living Communities and Senior Apartments are for seniors who desire an active lifestyle with other seniors. There may be meal plans, housekeeping services, and planned social activities including exercise classes and wellness programs to encourage a healthy lifestyle. Sometimes called retirement communities, the age requirements may vary but are generally 55 years or older.

Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Senior Housing offers affordable housing for the elderly and disabled who are highly independent. After qualifying for HUD housing, the individual must pay a percentage of their monthly income to rent and HUD takes care of the remaining amount. 

Assisted Living Communities and Homes are licensed and for seniors with a low to moderate level of independence who need some level of assistance but not the continuous care provided by a skilled nursing center. These residences offer couples the option of staying together when only one spouse requires care. Three levels of care exist in these communities and homes to meet the needs of those individuals seeking this type of housing:

  • Supervisory care provides general supervision and crisis intervention with the most basic level of assistance.
  • Personal care is assisted living with assistance with Activities of Daily Living (ADLs)
  • Directed care which is the highest level of assisted living and provides intermittent nursing care and extra assistance to individuals incapable of making basic decisions pertaining to their own welfare and safety.  

Adult Foster Care (AFC) Homes offer seniors a residence in a licensed family home administered by the Foundation for Senior Living in Maricopa County. All Adult Foster Care Homes take individuals in the Arizona Long Term Care System (ALTCS) which subsidizes the fees for the care although there are private pay options. For more information about Adult Foster Care call the Foundation for Senior Living at (602) 285-1800 or the Senior Help LINE at (888) 264-2258, or TTY/TDD at (602) 241-6110.

Nursing Care Centers are designed for people requiring supervised skilled nursing care 24/7. Meals, housekeeping and assistance with Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) along with nursing services and usually social and recreational activities are provided. Nursing care centers typically accept AHCCCS/ALTCS.


On 11/11/06
Donald said
I will soon be in a wheelchair and I find your information very usefull. Thank You


  • What is the definition of habitable under AZ law. If move into apt. that has new carpet that makes one sick would that be uninhabitable? Thanks
  • Where can I get more information and help if I need emergency housing?
  • I am concerned that my landlord did not follow the law in the Landlord Tenant Act (section 33-1321) concerning Landlord Obligations for security deposits. The law says “Within 14 days after termination of tenancy…the tenant shall be provided an itemized list of all deductions…” I received an itemized list of repairs within 14 days but there were no dollar amounts showing what would be deducted from my deposit. 54 days later, they provided an itemized list with deductions. The law does not say only provide an itemized list of repairs. The law says provide an itemized list of repairs WITH deductions. Since they did not provide the dollar amount of deductions within 14 days, did they violate the law? If yes, what do I do?
  • Can I install grab bars, lower my countertops or make other needed modifications against my landlord’s objections?
  • I am asking this question on behalf of my dear friend who is a senior and does not own a computer in which to ask this question. A year ago, my friends son bought a home in Youngtown, Arizona, for his mom 76 yrs of age and his dad who is 84 yrs of age, to live in until they die, rent free. Today he wants to evict them. What can they do? Do they have any rights? What are AZ laws regarding unwritten tenancy agreements?
  • We are senior citizens. A bank is offering us a home loan that we assumed was fixed interest-the rate dropped a fraction, even-then I happened to notice an unfamiliar phrase with a tiny checked box-'demand feature'. I looked it up: the bank can demand payment, calling the loan, at any time without giving a reason. It said that some states prohibit that practice. Is Arizona one? Calling the loan could destroy us and force the property into foreclosure.
  • I signed a 7 month lease which was up on July 4th. I asked for an extra month after my lease expired and they said, no problem. I went in to pay this months rent and they ask me to pay almost $300 more for the extra month. I told them I was not told of an increase in rent and I don't have the extra money for this. Is this legal for them to raise the rent without any kind of notice? They also put a 5 day notice on my door.
  • Six months into a twelve month lease my landlord sold the property. Now the new landlord is telling me that I must sign a new lease. Although she is not raising our rent, other provisions of the new lease are objectionable to me. Must I sign this new lease to preserve my status as a legal tenant, or must the new landlord accept the terms of my original lease?
  • If I need to be hospitalized for an extended period, can I rent out my mobile home?
  • I have a question concerning tenant/landlord laws.


  • If you get a divorce, make sure your date of birth is on the Decree if your name is changing!. . .
  • He told me that I could actually get all the money I needed by using my home as collateral. . .
  • He told me that I could actually get all the money I needed by using my home as collateral. . .




  • Please select your county of residence below.



  • State Bar of Arizona
  • Maricopa County Bar
    Referral number 602-257-4434
  • Pima County Bar
    Referral number 520-623-4625
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline
  • Bankruptcy Court Self Help Center
  • Certified Legal Document Preparer Program