Dealing with Debt

questions & answers

Question: Can't pay Credit Card Debt? What do My wife 71 years old and I do? We don't want to loose our home.

Answer: To get help managing your credit card debt you could speak with a credit counselor. There are non-profit organizations that will provide free advice on how to solve your financial challenges.  (

You can also contact a foreclosure avoidance counselor. Look for a counseling agency that is approved by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). You might be eligible for a Making Home Affordable loan modification though the Homeowner Affordability and Stability Plan (HASP). (

People aged 62 or older are eligible for a reverse mortgage. “When you have a regular mortgage, you pay the lender every month to buy your home over time. In a reverse mortgage, you get a loan in which the lender pays you. Reverse mortgages take part of the equity in your home and convert it into payments to you – a kind of advance payment on your home equity. The money you get usually is tax-free. Generally, you don’t have to pay back the money for as long as you live in your home. When you die, sell your home, or move out, you, your spouse, or your estate would repay the loan. Sometimes that means selling the home to get money to repay the loan.” (

You can also see if you are eligible for any other assistance through the Area Agency on Aging. To find out about the services provided by the Area Agency on Aging, go to, or call the Senior Help Line at 602-264-4357. 


  • Can't pay Credit Card Debt? What do My wife 71 years old and I do? We don't want to loose our home.


  • If you get a divorce, make sure your date of birth is on the Decree if your name is changing!. . .
  • I just helped my mother, age 89, deal with her Medicare HMO. . .
  • He told me that I could actually get all the money I needed by using my home as collateral. . .




  • Please select your county of residence below.



  • State Bar of Arizona
  • Maricopa County Bar
    Referral number 602-257-4434
  • Pima County Bar
    Referral number 520-623-4625
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline
  • Bankruptcy Court Self Help Center
  • Certified Legal Document Preparer Program