Child Custody

Articles and Info

Best Interests of the Child

Whenever a court here is asked to decide about a minor they try to decide what is in their best interest, but what does that mean? Find out here.

Federal and State Tax Exemptions for Dependent Children: Who gets to claim them?

This article explains how you can figure out who gets to claim your children on your taxes, you or your former spouse.

How to Represent Yourself in Maricopa Family Court Part 2: Default Through Discovery

In part two, we will discuss how to represent yourself in Default Proceedings and through Discovery.

How to Represent Yourself in Maricopa County Part 1: Initial Filings

This is the first in a multi-part segment on “How to Represent Yourself in Maricopa County Family Court." This section provides information about an initial filing in Family Court.

What is a Court-Appointed Advisor and what is his or her function in a Family Law case?

What is a Court-Appointed advisor and what is his or her function in a Family Law case? This article will define the difference between a Child's Attorney, Best Interest Attorney and a Court-Appointed Advisor and how they are used in the court system.

Where to Find an Attorney for Specific Legal Advice

 All legal service programs in Arizona differ, and their criteria for accepting cases vary as well. Find out what programs are available and where to go for assistance.

Model Parenting Time Plans for Parent/Child Access

Raising children presents challenges for all parents. The following information will help parents reach agreements about parenting time (access) with their children.

by: Arizona Supreme Court, Court Services Division

Read more

Things You Should Know about Custody and Parenting Time

This article provides general information about custody and parenting time. Questions about specific situations should be discussed with an attorney.

by: Arizona Supreme Court, Court Services Division

Read more

Related Questions

Question: My ex wife & I have shared custody of our 2 boys 9 & 11. I have been off work for over a year due to seizures, psoriatic arthritis and back problems & depression. I'm presently waiting to see if I can get on disability. My ex brings the boys to me on weeks I have them. I can not drive due to seizures. She recently sent me a nasty text telling me if I only knew what's coming and she'll take boys from me. What are my rights? She was diagnosed with bi-polar disease and I worry about my boys. I want the best for them but can she take them away from me? . I love them so much. Thank you
Read Answer »

Question: Ex & I have a child. First 1.5yr of her life he was MIA, always drunk/selling drugs. 2016 I got married. Custody court ended up being 1 mo after ex got locked up. We moved to Texas & ex wasn't sticking to court even though we sent money for phones/letters he would go almost a year at a time w/out contact. We got a lawyer and filed for Termination so my husband can adopt her. 2 year of fighting with AZ prisons/courts and now he's deported to Mexico. We are moving back to Az. What options do we have to get my husband any type of legal rights/adoptions.
Read Answer »

Question: My grandson visits every other weekend with his father. The father is not respecting the Covid guidelines for safety. My grandson 5 years old. My daughter has been at stay at home mode for months now & fears for her son’s health. What can we do ?
Read Answer »

Question: If my partner and I were never legally married and he was not in my daughters life for 3 years sense her birth and never signed the birth certificate can he try to get custody or joint custody? He has also never paid child support.
Read Answer »

Question: I work at home and currently have Joint 50/50 decision-making and parenting time. If I continue to exercise my first right of refusal while the other party is working would that be helpful when going back to court post-decree to help get more time with the children?
Read Answer »

Show All



  • Please select your county of residence below.



  • State Bar of Arizona
  • Maricopa County Bar
    Referral number 602-257-4434
  • Pima County Bar
    Referral number 520-623-4625
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline
  • Bankruptcy Court Self Help Center
  • Certified Legal Document Preparer Program