Grandparents' Rights

questions & answers

Question: I'm a grandma raising 3 granddaughters while my daughter and their dad is in prison am I eligable for cash benifits


AZLawHelp Question 22245

Grandparents face many challenges to raising their grandchildren. When a grandparent is not doing well financially, they may look into federal and state financial assistance programs. There may also be other local financial resources and services available. Raising grandchildren without some form of legal custody can be challenging.
There are many programs that provide financial assistance for Grandparents that are raising their grandkids. State programs that provide assistance:
? Kinship Care
? Child support (Biological parents)

Kinship Care

Grandparents have a temporary custody option: kinship foster care, where they would possibly be entitled to state benefits for the child. A grandparent can receive financial assistance by applying formally to be a grandchild’s foster parent. This option is only available if the child has already been removed by the state from the parent’s home.

?In kinship foster care, you do not have legal custody of the grandchild. This means that although you can take care of your grandchild’s day-to-day needs, you can’t make any major decisions without first obtaining consent from the agency that acts for the state.
Kinship foster care is not permanent. It is considered temporary custody. The goal is for the child to be placed in a permanent home. While you may be working towards the child to be permanently placed with you, the final decision is with the state agency that placed the child.

Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF)

This program offers cash assistance for low-income families. Eligibility for TANF is determined by residency, income, and assets. You may qualify to receive benefits as a family, or your grandchildren can receive benefits under the child only grant. With the child only grant, your grandchildren may be able to receive benefits until they are 18.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

This program pays monthly cash benefits to families with mentally or physically disabled children. To qualify, families need to have a limited income.

Financial support from the parents

In some cases, parents and grandparents are able to share responsibilities. One or both parents may contribute financially. Even if grandparents have legal custody or guardianship, parents can be asked to pay a specific child support amount. Some parents prefer such a formalized arrangement.

For information about Grandparent Kinship care refer:

For more information about other Grandparent resources refer to:


  • I'm a grandma raising 3 granddaughters while my daughter and their dad is in prison am I eligable for cash benifits




  • Please select your county of residence below.



  • State Bar of Arizona
  • Maricopa County Bar
    Referral number 602-257-4434
  • Pima County Bar
    Referral number 520-623-4625
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline
  • Bankruptcy Court Self Help Center
  • Certified Legal Document Preparer Program


Generic versions of the drug Cialis, sold as tadalafil, now available from many manufacturers.