Other Work Issues Article

Are You a Victim of Identity Theft Seeking Unemployment Insurance Benefits?



(480) 727-2382


 Social security numbers are used by the Arizona Department of Economic Security (“DES”) to process applications for unemployment insurance benefits. As a result, a victim of identity theft may run into problems in the unemployment insurance benefits process because of the fraudulent actions of an identity thief.

When Might Being a Victim of Identity Theft Be an Issue?

There are three phases in the unemployment insurance benefits process where an identity theft victim may run into trouble as a result of that identity theft:


A Claimant that receives a determination of deputy that he or she is ineligible for benefits only has 15 days to appeal the determination and may not know that his or her identity has been stolen in that time. For more information about eligibility, see Know Your Rights: Eligibility for Unemployment Insurance. DES may find that an identity theft victim is not eligible for benefits. A.R.S. § 23-771. An individual with a compromised social security number may have difficulty demonstrating that he or she is able to work, and [be] available for work” to receive benefits. A Claimant that receives a determination of deputy that he or she is ineligible for benefits only has 15 days to appeal the determination and may not know that his or her identity has been stolen in that time. For more information about eligibility, see Know Your Rights: Eligibility for Unemployment Insurance.


An identity theft victim may be asked to repay money that was paid to an identity thief who was using the victim’s social security number. An overpayment exists when a claimant receives unemployment benefits to which he or she is not entitled. DES has the right to collect any overpaid benefits. A.R.S. § 23-787. If an identity thief uses the victim’s social security number to claim benefits while the victim is employed, DES may incorrectly believe that the victim received benefits to which he or she was not entitled. This means the victim of identity theft may be asked to repay benefits he or she never received.

Additionally, an identity theft victim’s overpayment may be classified as fraud when an identity thief uses the victim’s social security number to work. Fraud is a type of overpayment classification that comes with an automatic penalty of 15 percent of the amount of overpayment, a potential felony conviction, and other consequences. See A.R.S. §§ 23-785; 23- 787(B). A fraud determination occurs when a claimant knowingly misrepresents or conceals material facts to obtain benefits to which the claimant is not lawfully entitled. A.A.C. R6-3- 1301(7). The fraud determination is tied to the social security number provided to DES, which means that the identity thief may cause the fraud determination. This could happen if the thief claims benefits while the victim is working or if the victim applies for benefits while the thief is using the stolen social security number. For more information about overpayment or fraud classification, see Know Your Rights: Overpayment of Unemployment Insurance Benefits.


 An identity theft victim may need to request a waiver of overpaid benefits if the victim never received the benefits due to identity theft. To be eligible for a waiver, a claimant must have received the overpaid unemployment benefits through no fault of his or her own and it must be against “equity and good conscience” to collect from the claimant. A.R.S. § 23-787(c). Therefore, if, due to identity theft, a claimant never received the benefits for which DES is seeking repayment, he or she may be eligible for a waiver and may seek a waiver. For more information about waiver and how to seek one, see Know Your Rights: Waiver of Overpayment of Unemployment Insurance Benefits.

Tips for Identity Theft Victims

The first step, if you are worried about an adverse determination from DES due to identity theft, is to inform the DES deputy assigned to your case that you are a victim of identity theft.

If the deputy ignores your status as an identity theft victim and you receive an adverse determination from DES, you may appeal that determination. When you appeal a determination, you will have the opportunity to offer evidence to an Administrative Law Judge (“ALJ”) about the underlying issues. Because ALJ’s must consider all relevant evidence, you may:

 1. Submit evidence to DES before the hearing that demonstrates you are a victim of identity theft. The following documents might help demonstrate that you are a victim: – An Identity Theft Affidavit from the Federal Trade Commission. A victim of identity theft may contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to create an Identity Theft Report by completing an online Identity Theft Affidavit,1 and taking it a police station, or by calling the Identity Theft Hotline at (877) 438-4338.2 – A Police Report. Once you report identity theft to the police, you may ask for a copy of the police report for your records.

2. Inform the ALJ that you were a victim of identity theft and why that matters. – Explain to the ALJ how the identity theft has affected you in the phase of the unemployment benefits process that you are in, as discussed above.

3. Consult with an attorney if you need legal advice. – You may contact the Work-Life Law and Policy Clinic for further information about unemployment insurance at (480) 727-2382 or seek a referral at http://www.AZLawHelp.org.

Contributing Attorney: Marcy Karin is the Faculty Supervisor of the Work-Life Law and Policy Clinic at Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law at ASU.

Prepared by Zachary Rosenberg, Kyle Orne & Laura Anderson, Certified Limited Practice.

Last updated April 8, 2015.

1 Federal Trade Commission: Consumer Information Page, Create an Identity Theft Report. https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0277-create-identity-theft-report.

2 Other steps to consider include: (1) submitting an identity theft affidavit with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f14039.pdf; (2) filing a Consumer Complaint Form with the Arizona Attorney General’s Office at https://www.azag.gov/complaints/consumer; (3) obtaining a free credit report at https://www.annualcreditreport.com to see if the identity theft has impacted your credit in other ways; and (4) placing a free “active duty alert” on your credit reports if appropriate by contacting one of the nationwide consumerreporting companies: Equifax: (800) 525-6285 or www.equifax.com; Experian: (888) 397-3742 or www.experian.com; or TransUnion: (800) 680-7289 or www.transunion.com.


Attached Document
.pdf Are You a Victim of Identity Theft Seeking Unemployment Insurance Benefits?



  • I will be changing from salary to hourly, my company is taking 40 hours of my PTO to pay me a weeks wage. Can they do that? I earned those PTO hours.
  • What are the rights of workers, through a temp agency, in Arizona?
  • can my former employer still us my name and title on their website 3 years later.
  • I got an interview at this Job about a month and half ago I worked there 4 half days. Right after the 4th day she than told me I don't need you anymore. I'm not hiring you. Told me she had my hours written down. She's gonna pay me sometime soon. I texted her a week later asking what's going on she said she's gonna talk to the owner. Didn't hear back. I than contacted her last Monday and she told me she was not gonna pay me since I wasn't there more than two weeks. That's illegal right ?? What can I do to get my money ?
  • I have been employed in AZ. for 36 years to a Texas based company. They have sent notice that I enroll in direct deposit by Dec.1st,2014 in accordance with a collective bargaining agreement made by my union in july 2008. providing that, "the carrier may implement arrangements for the direct deposit of any payments due its employees covered by this agreement." They did not offer alternatives or consequences for failure to do so, only that I would be "subject to remedy." Can they force me to direct deposit or "remedy"? I currently receive my pay bi-monthly via USPS. Thank you.
  • Hellow My workmen compinsation claim injury case was denied. Now I'm still injured have waited opproximently 25 days for services to continue & find out how serious my knee inju ry is. Now i"m out of a job cause my claim was denied help me with some free legal answers who to call by phone  thank you. HELP PLEASE!!!
  • I was hired by a company. I was hired to be a Financial Assistant. At first I thought that this company was real, because they had me sign an employment agreement and gave me a confirmation saying that I was hired. What this company did was deposit large amounts of money into my personal acct, then they wanted me to withdraw the money and have it transferred to other people in Russia by using a funds transfer service. My bank froze my bank acct because it would be under investigation because they did not know were this money was coming from.
  • I work for a group home w/disabled adults. One of the clients received an I-Pad and the manager of the home wants us to sign a form that states if it ends up missing during your shift, the entire staff will be terminated. Is this even legal. I have not signed it as of yet.
  • Why am I forced by my employer to pay for online Arizona lottery tickets that customers refuse to pay for when they claim the tickets were not how they asked them to be. I am now even being threatened with being fired if the lottery sales numbers are off! My paycheck has been garnished twice for this and all employees are harrased over this idiotic lottery policy and paranoid with making a wrong register key slip because regardless of actual money lost or just essentially an overring it is Always the same ,lottery number being short real or not, we pay. Is this Legal??
  • I work for a car dealership and the store I work in the General Manager will take away our days off if we have a off site sale that week so we are forced to work 8am-8pm all week with no days off. is this legal? also can he take a day off away from us if we sell less than a certain amount of cars in a month? what is the law about days off?





  • Please select your county of residence below.



  • State Bar of Arizona
  • Maricopa County Bar
    Referral number 602-257-4434
  • Pima County Bar
    Referral number 520-623-4625
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline
  • Bankruptcy Court Self Help Center
  • Certified Legal Document Preparer Program