Child Abuse & Neglect

questions & answers

Question: What do I need to file abandonment

Answer: Your question is very vague.  Are you a parent who wants to prove the other parent has abandoned the children in order to obtain sole custody (now called legal decision-making)?  Are you a relative or friend who currently has physical custody of the child and wants the natural parents' rights terminated so you can adopt?  Abandonment is defined by statute in Arizona.  Arizona Revised Statutes, Section 8-531(1) basically says when a parent has failed to provide support and meaningful interaction with the child for six months or more, that is abandonment.  If you are the other parent, you would be required to file a motion in the court seeking a determination that the parent has abandoned the child and provide your evidence.  it would be a good idea to sit down with an attorney and go over the specific facts in your case and the evidence you have to prove abandonment.  There are three programs in Arizona that you can use to get inexpensive legal advice and guidance.  One is the modest means program.  You will need to apply for the program and meet the financial qualifications.  Once you are qualified, Modest Means will send you a list of attorneys whose practice covers your area of concern.  You select a lawyer from the list and will be entitled to a one hour consultation for $75.  If you need additional help and if the lawyer agrees to take your case, the most you will be charged is $75 per hours.  the telephone number is (866) 637-5341.  Both Maricopa County and Pima County have lawyer referral programs that offer a 30 minute consult with an attorney.  Maricopa County's Lawyer Referral Service offers a 30 minute consult with an experienced attorney for $40.  The telephone number is  (602) 257-4434.  Pima County's Lawyer Referral Service offers a 30 minute attorney consult for $35.  The telephone number is (520) 623-4625.


  • What do I need to file abandonment




  • Please select your county of residence below.



  • State Bar of Arizona
  • Maricopa County Bar
    Referral number 602-257-4434
  • Pima County Bar
    Referral number 520-623-4625
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline
  • Bankruptcy Court Self Help Center
  • Certified Legal Document Preparer Program


Generic versions of the drug Cialis, sold as tadalafil, now available from many manufacturers.