Landlord and Tenant Rights and Responsibilities

questions & answers

Question: Is a landlord required to provide you a copy of a move-out inspection list? I was provided one at the Move-In Inspection which I filled out. Now I just had the Move-Out Inspection and wasn't provided anything. what gives?

Answer: There is no provision in Arizona that requires the landlord to provide you a move-out inspection form up front.  However, when you request a return of your security deposit the landlord must either return the full amount to you or provide you with an itemized list of damages/deductions.

If the landlord does not respond to your request for the return of your deposit or you disagree with the deductions made, you may sue the landlord for the return of the initial deposit plus twice the amount that was wrongfully held.    

According to the Landlord Tenant Act (13-3321):
§ 33-1321. Security deposits  
A. A landlord shall not demand or receive security, however denominated, including, but not limited to, prepaid rent in an amount or value in excess of one and one-half month's rent. This subsection does not prohibit a tenant from voluntarily paying more than one and one-half month's rent in advance.  
B. The purpose of all nonrefundable fees or deposits shall be stated in writing by the landlord. Any fee or deposit not designated as nonrefundable shall be refundable.  
C. With respect to tenants who first occupy the premises or enter into a new written rental agreement after January 1, 1996, upon move in a landlord shall furnish the tenant with a signed copy of the lease, a  move-in form for specifying any existing damages to the dwelling unit and written notification to the tenant  that the tenant may be present at the move-out  inspection. Upon request by the tenant, the landlord shall notify the tenant when the landlord's move-out inspection will occur. If the tenant is being evicted for a material and irreparable breach and the landlord has reasonable cause to fear violence or intimidation on the part of the tenant, the landlord has no obligation to conduct a joint move-out inspection with the tenant.  
D. Upon termination of the tenancy, property or money held by the landlord as prepaid rent and security may be applied to the payment of all rent, and subject to a landlord’s duty to mitigate, all charges as specified in  the signed lease agreement, or as provided in this  chapter, including the amount of damages which the  landlord has suffered by reason of the tenant's  noncompliance with section 33-1341. Within fourteen days, excluding Saturdays, Sundays or other legal  holidays, after termination of the tenancy and deli very   of possession and demand by the tenant the landlord shall provide the tenant an itemized list of all  deductions together with the amount due and payable to the tenant, if any. Unless other arrangements are made in writing by the tenant, the landlord shall mail the itemized list and any amount due, by first class mail, to the tenant's last known place of residence.  
E. If the landlord fails to comply with subsection D of this section the tenant may recover the property and money due the tenant together with damages in an amount equal to twice the amount wrongfully withheld.  
F. This section does not preclude the landlord or tenant from recovering other damages to which the landlord or tenant may be entitled under this chapter.  
G. During the term of tenancy the landlord may use refundable security deposits or other refundable deposits in accordance with any applicable provisions of the property management agreement. At the end of tenancy, all refundable deposits shall be refunded to the tenant pursuant to this section.  
H. The holder of the landlord's interest in the premises at the time of the termination of the tenancy is bound by this section.   

For the full text of the Landlord Tenant Act, visit:

For more information on your rights and responsibilities as a tenant, visit:  


  • Is a landlord required to provide you a copy of a move-out inspection list? I was provided one at the Move-In Inspection which I filled out. Now I just had the Move-Out Inspection and wasn't provided anything. what gives?




  • Please select your county of residence below.



  • State Bar of Arizona
  • Maricopa County Bar
    Referral number 602-257-4434
  • Pima County Bar
    Referral number 520-623-4625
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline
  • Bankruptcy Court Self Help Center
  • Certified Legal Document Preparer Program


Generic versions of the drug Cialis, sold as tadalafil, now available from many manufacturers.