Parental Rights & Obligations

questions & answers

Question: my 12 year old son just ran away what do I do?

Answer: If a child under 16, leaves home without permission from a parent or legal guardian, he or she can be prosecuted as an incorrigible child (A.R.S. § 8-201(16)(c)).  Some of the consequences of being found incorrigible include being fined or be placed on probation, and being ordered to do community service. The specific charges and consequences are left up to the officer of the court. If the parent cannot control the child, the child can be removed from the parent's supervision. The child may then be placed in an appropriate living place, a foster home or some type or a state facility. Even if the parent does not report the run away, Child Protective Services can become involved if the minor living away from home is not receiving age-appropriate supervision, is engaging in harmful conduct, does not have adequate food, clothing, shelter, medical care, or is living with an inappropriate person. If you are in a crisis situation or need counselling, call any of the following: Child Help USA hotline at 1800-422-4453 Charter Behavioral Health Arizona Crisis Line 800-242-7837 Teen Link (Various Topics) 800-235-9678 Call 911 if you or your child is in immediate danger.


  • my 12 year old son just ran away what do I do?




  • Please select your county of residence below.



  • State Bar of Arizona
  • Maricopa County Bar
    Referral number 602-257-4434
  • Pima County Bar
    Referral number 520-623-4625
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline
  • Bankruptcy Court Self Help Center
  • Certified Legal Document Preparer Program


Generic versions of the drug Cialis, sold as tadalafil, now available from many manufacturers.