Parental Rights & Obligations

questions & answers

Question: where do i go to file and establish my paperwork for parental rights, and how much does it cost?


The answer depends on facts of your specific situation. You may want to consult with an attorney to find out how the law applies in your specific situation.

The following is provided as general information only:
The Arizona laws that discuss maternity/paternity proceedings can be found in the Arizona Revised Statutes (A.R.S.), Title 25, Chapter 6, Article 1, beginning with A.R.S. § 25-801. You may want to review A.R.S. § 25-814, which describes under what circumstances there is a presumption of paternity.  A.R.S. § 25-803 discusses who can bring the action. A.R.S. § 25-806 discusses how to commence a maternity or paternity proceeding.

According to A.R.S. § 25-801, "The superior court has original jurisdiction in proceedings to establish maternity or paternity." A.R.S. § 25-802 states, "Proceedings to establish maternity or paternity may be originated in the county of residence of the respondent or the petitioner or the child or children the subject of the action. The fact that the petitioner parent or child or both are not, or never have been, residents of Arizona does not bar the proceeding." To find a superior court near you, you may want to look at the Arizona Court's Locator on the Arizona Supreme Court's website.

If you are in Maricopa County or Pima County, you may want to look on the superior court's websites for applicable forms. You will also be able to find the filing fee chart on the Superior Court's webpage as well in order to find out the costs of such actions. There may also be additional costs associated with establishing parental rights, such as child support payments.

To find out how the laws apply to your specific situation, you may want to sit down with an attorney and discuss your specific legal issue.


  • where do i go to file and establish my paperwork for parental rights, and how much does it cost?




  • Please select your county of residence below.



  • State Bar of Arizona
  • Maricopa County Bar
    Referral number 602-257-4434
  • Pima County Bar
    Referral number 520-623-4625
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline
  • Bankruptcy Court Self Help Center
  • Certified Legal Document Preparer Program


Generic versions of the drug Cialis, sold as tadalafil, now available from many manufacturers.